Coconut Milk Cake with Mascarpone Frosting


I were in a wild search of Mascarpone cheese. At last I made it at home. Since I never tasted the real (store bought) mascarpone cheese, I wanted to ensure that the one I made was right. During our vacation hangout, we had a visit to Lulu Mall, Kochi where I was lucky to find it. Like always, homemade treats tastes better !!!



This time I wanted to bake a cake  with a traditional ingredient.  Our Kerala is known for coconut trees. So, decided to make my cake with coconut. My search for a good coconut cake ended in the Cookery guide by YWCA, gifted by Kunjumol ammachi. By God's grace, my first coconut milk cake came out successful.  

Ingredients:

For the Cake
2 Cups of Sugar (may be reduced as per your requirement)
1.5 teaspoon Baking powder
2 Cups of All purpose flour
1 Cup of softened butter
3 large eggs
1 3/4 Cups of grated coconut
1 teaspoon of Natural Vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon of salt (May be avoided if the butter used is salted)

Mascarpone Frosting
12 oz Mascarpone cheese
6 oz butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
5 to 6 cups of Icing or confectioners' sugar (sifted)



Procedure:

Coconut Milk Cake

Preheat the oven to 180oC and grease a 8 or 9 inch spring form pan

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Keep aside 3/4 Cup grated coconut.

Take the coconut milk from remaining 1 Cup grated coconut. For that, add a Cup of water and grind in the mixer grinder and filter the coconut and extract the coconut milk.

Beat butter and sugar and add eggs one by one in butter sugar mixer , beating well after each addition .

Now  include vanilla essence and beat well till well combined.

Add flour and coconut milk alternatively and finally fold in the grated coconut . Now bake for 30 minutes till done.

Note: After 30 minutes, if the cake is not done, reduce the heat to 50oC and continue baking till done. The heat is reduced to avoid hardening.

Mascarpone Frosting:

Mix Mascarpone and butter and whip until fluffy. Slowly add sugar in different batches, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla essence and mix well till well blended. Check for the consistency add more sugar if you need a thick consistency to pipe well.



I used Mascarpone frosting and I got the recipe from askchefdennis. The frosting is simple and  amazing. I piped the ruffles with Wilton 1M tip and the flowers with the tip 22.




I promise, even though there is no frosting, you don't worry. The cake itself is amazing. Today my parents came along with my brothers. This cake was a pleasant surprise for them. Anish  loved it and he wanted me to bake it frequently :-) 








Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,