A Mickey Mouse Club house themed cake for my little princess




On this April 13 th, she turned three. How fast the time flies ….? I still remember my first kiss on her…..It was like kissing a beautiful rose, sprinkled with dew drops….My lips pierced into those dewdrops, gently touching the silky rose petals…and that moment was like millions of stars twinkled in me and simultaneously on the other side, an anxiety of a mother was shadowed in my eyes…Oh God!  capitulating everything on you…..



“Itz a mickey mouse club house
Come inside and sing inside……..”

The waves of this music are recurring in my heart even when I’m typing this post.  I don’t know why  Rydhi  is this much in fond of mickey mouse  (in her terms “mickey moush”).  When they dance in the TV, she used to jump in our couch with an excited face.  This has made us to have a drive to our childhood…..where in those days, waiting for “The jungle book” , which was telecasted in Doordarshan (only channel available in those days for us ) and truly Anish and me love Mowgli even now and I know at least some of you are still in fond of it.



On this birthday, I thought of doing a themed cake and was certain about the theme. As parents, we all love to give the best one for our kids right…? So this time, I haven’t gone for any gateau….but focused on the fondant decorations. This was not a well planned one.

This was my first humble attempt on making figurines. While making the cake toppers, Anish was there with me giving the correct feedbacks. Five cakes were baked for the three layers. I had an 8 X 3 inch pan. So for the middle layer, I baked a single cake, which is Hershey’s chocolate cake. For the bottom and top layers, I baked a fondant friendly cake, which is firm enough. I have done the cake with marshmallow (mini marshmallow) fondant. The figurines are also made with this fondant but was made a day before to make it strong.





Homemade Marshmallow Fondant :

Ingredients:
8 oz of mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons of water
5 cups (or more if required) of icing sugar (sifted)
Butter or shortening (I used butter) for greasing the bowl, spatula and the kitchen counter

Method:
Grease the bowl or saucepan, spatula and kitchen counter with butter.
In a large microwave safe bowl put mini marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water and microwave on high for one minute.

For stove top: In a large saucepan, mix water and  mini marshmallows and heat till the marshmallows are puffed up and starts melting.

Take it from the oven/ stove and give 20 stirrings so that the marshmallows and water are well mixed well and the marshmallow is completely melted.  

If you need to use a colored fondant, add the required color at this stage and mix well. Put 4 cups of icing sugar and put the melted marshmallow on that and knead well. Knead.., knead… and knead well and add more sugar and repeat kneading  till the stickiness disappears. 

Soon after the kneading process, quickly wrap the fondant in a cling, otherwise it will be dried.

Now roll the fondant and cover your cake. For coloring a little amount of fondant, take a ball of fondant  from the cling, apply color with the help of a toothpick and knead well so that the color is evenly distributed and cut into desired shapes.




The birthday bliss was shared by our dearest and nearest neighbors….and indeed a great glee for Rydhi too…. :-)





Labels: , , , , , , ,